Jul 28, 2026

Misinterpretation in KJV (IV)

Philippians 4:13 (King James Version)

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.


Philippians 4:13 (New International Version) I can do all this through him who gives me strength.


      13        I   can   do   all   this   through   him   who   gives   me   strength .  
ἰσχύω2 πάντα1 ἐν3 τῷ4 ►5 με6 ἐνδυναμοῦντί5

The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), Php 4:13.


The KJV characteristically employed “which” for “who” in Philippians 4:13, rendering the passage as “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”[1] This grammatical choice creates a fundamental ambiguity about the sentence’s meaning that modern readers struggle to resolve.

The Antecedent Problem

The relative pronoun “which” lacks a clear antecedent in the sentence structure. Grammatically, “which” should refer to the nearest noun, which is “things”—suggesting that the things themselves strengthen Paul. However, contextually and theologically, the intended meaning points to Christ as the source of strength. The Greek construction allows for ambiguity, though contextually Christ is the most likely referent.[2] The KJV’s use of “which” instead of “who” obscures this intended reference and forces readers to rely on contextual clues rather than grammatical clarity.

The Theological Impact

The actual meaning is that Christ, who continually infuses Paul with strength, serves as his source of strength and contentment.[3] By using “which,” the KJV creates the false impression that Paul’s accomplishments themselves provide the strengthening—a reading that inverts the theological point. The passage emphasizes dependence on Christ’s indwelling power, not self-reliance through achievement.

Modern Clarity

Contemporary translations resolve this by using “who” or restructuring entirely: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” or “through him who gives me strength.” These renderings eliminate ambiguity and clarify that Christ—not the things Paul accomplishes—provides the enabling power. The Greek preposition points to vital personal union with Christ, emphasizing that because of his living relationship with the all-sufficient Christ, Paul can do whatever the Lord calls him to do.[3] The KJV’s grammatical choice obscures this relational foundation entirely.

[1] Neil R. Lightfoot, How We Got the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2003), 187.
[2] Rick Brannan and Israel Loken, The Lexham Textual Notes on the Bible, Lexham Bible Reference Series (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2014). [See here.]
[3] Steven J. Cole, “Lesson 27: The Secret for Contentment (Philippians 4:10–13),” in Philippians, Steven J. Cole Commentary Series (Dallas: Galaxie Software, 2017). [See here, here.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Misinterpretation in KJV (XVIII)

2 Corinthians 12:2 (King James Version) I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether ou...